Find an exit from a Platform
Although this is a major station, its layout is very straightforward so, rather than describing all likely combinations of routes, as we do with some Underground stations, a few basic guidelines should suffice.
The main station has the eight platforms, numbered 1 to 8 from right to left (east to west) as you go into the station via the main entrance. Platforms 1 and 8 are effectively single platforms along the sides of this station, with the intermediate platforms being islands.
The suburban section has the single platform 9 lying to your right (east) of the island platforms 10 and 11, as you face the platforms.
To Which Exit?
The Main Section
We're aware of six exits from this section of the station:
- To the main entrance, this is in the (far right-hand (southwest) corner of the concourse as you leave the platform, continue forward from platform 8, otherwise, turn right, go to the right-hand side of the concourse then turn left and continue to the exit. Note that the entrance to the Underground station is on your right, just before the main ticket office. If you're going to RNIB Judd Street, we suggest you leave via the main entrance, turn right and go down two flights of steps into the Western Concourse, take the first turning left and continue to the end of the passage. Follow our route to RNIB Judd Street.
- To the Underground station, continue forward from platform 8, from other platforms, turn right, move to the right-hand side of the concourse then turn left. You pass the exit to taxis before you reach the new entrance to the Underground station. Go to the far side of this wide entrance before turning right, through the furthest entrance and either go down the stairs in front of you or move left for the lift to the Level -1 passage.
- To the east exit (York Way), turn left at the end of the platform and continue through the exit.
- To the north exit (York Way), from platforms 2 to 8, turn left, continue to the left-hand side of the concourse then turn left along platform 1. See details of platform 1 in our Detailed Description section for details. At the time of our survey, this didn't seem to be a very busy exit.
- To the west exit (Pancras Road), turn right from the end of platform 8 and continue to the exit. At the time of our survey, you then turned left before the hoardings in front of you then took the turning right towards the taxi pick-up point.
- To the suburban section, from platforms 1 to 7, turn right at the end of the platform and go to the right-hand side of the concourse then turn right onto platform 8. Continue (north) beyond the downward steps to the gents toilets then turn left. There are now two gate lines to the suburban section, the first one is opposite platform 9, whilst the second is opposite platforms 10 and 11. You can move between platforms in the area inside the gates. From here, you can continue to Pancrs road.
The Suburban Section
The platforms lead north from a gated area within the concourse. Go to the end of the platform.
There are now two gate lines, one opposite platform 9, the other opposite platforms 10 - 11. We believe the right-hand automatic gates are normally the ones you need. There's a Wide Aisle Gate at each end of the gate line opposite platforms 10 - 11, but only at the left-hand end of the gate line opposite platform 9.
The small concourse outside the gates has been removed. Once through the gates, you can turn left towards the main section of the station, onto platform 8, or turn right towards Pancras road, or the Northern Concourse of the Underground station.
How do I…?
KING'S CROSS Station
© 2009, Terry Robinson