THE INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
This level includes the area at the foot of the ascending escalators and the passages between the spiral stairs, escalators and stairs to platforms. The intermediate level lies above the Underground platforms 1 - 2 and below the mainline platforms 3 - 4.
We note the intention for people to circulate clockwise through this area, though at the time of our survey, we found people moving in whatever direction they saw fit.
The following passages were identified.
- From the north end of platform 1 running north to stairs to the suburban rail, platforms 3 and 4.
- From passage 1, running east, across passage 3, then turning south to the foot of the spiral stairs.
- The exit to the escalators running south from the steps from the mainline platforms, across passage 2, past two gaps to the foot of the pair of escalators. The passage curves sharply left (east)then turns right (south) before crossing passage 2. There's a help point on the right-hand (west) side between passage 2 and the gaps towards the escalators and another opposite the first (north) gap).
- The north exit passage from platforms 1 - 2, leading to the foot of the pair of escalators. This passage leads east then veers northeast.
- The south exit passage from platforms 1 - 2, leading to the foot of the esclators, east of passage 4. This passage leads east then veers northeast.
- The entrance to platforms 1 - 2, leading southwest from the foot of the single escalator, past billboards and a fire point on the left, a gap to passages 5 then 4, before veering west. There's a help point on the northwest side, just before the passage veers right (west).
The area at the foot of the Ascending Escalators
East Wall, Going South
South Wall, Going West
OLD STREET UNDERGROUND STATION
© 2008 Terry Robinson